Matt Ruby tries to impress you
Follow me on Twitter or Facebook
- Film: Creator of Vooza and Club Scale. I produce, write, and act in funny videos. They often involve pretentious people who lack self-awareness. Hey, write what you know.
- Comedy: Standup comedian and author of Sandpaper Suit. I tell jokes because I've found it's the best way to get away with telling the truth.
- Photography: Travel shots and portraits at Flickr. And I live in Brooklyn, so I take photos of expensive coffee and sunsets and shit like that on Instagram.
Getting my power pose on at Vooza shoot (photo by Ron Haviv).
- Music: Singer/songwriter/guitarist in Plastics Hi-Fi, Ruby Lament, and solo. I fronted a rock band in Chicago and then put out solo stuff and then got tired of lugging gear around.
- Author: Co-author of REWORK (NY Times bestseller that's sorta a Zen self-help business book with lots of drawings), Getting Real, and Defensive Design for the Web. Basically, I worked with smart people and translated their ideas so that dumb people could understand them.
- Technology: Formerly employee #1 at 37signals (now Basecamp). I was designer-turned-media-guy for 10+ years there. Now I only care about apps if they leave me alone.
- Graduate of Northwestern University
- Majored in Political Science
- "Where I'm Calling From" by Raymond Carver
- "Lolita" by Vladimir Nabokov
- "Man and His Symbols" by Carl Jung
- "A Natural History of the Senses" by Diane Ackerman
- "The Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan
- "Just Kids" by Patti Smith
- "The Moviegoer" by Walker Percy
- "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley
- "We Learn Nothing" by Tim Kreider
- "Act One" by Moss Hart
- Jimmy Page
- Leonard Cohen
- Tom Petty
- Bob Dylan
- Lou Reed
- John Lennon
- David Bowie
- Marvin Gaye
- Billie Holliday
- Ray Davies
- Mark Rothko
- Kurt Schwitters
- Robert Rauschenberg
- Marc Chagall
- Alberto Giacometti
- Saul Bass
- Josef Muller-Brockmann
- George Hurrell
- El Lissitzky
- Esteban Vicente
- Howard Stern
- Louis CK
- Doug Stanhope
- Norm Macdonald
- Bill Burr
- Chris Rock
- Paul F. Tompkins
- Woody Allen
- Gary Gulman
- Larry David
Places I've been
I globetrot (backpacking mostly) and take photos of the places I go. The more I leave, the more I realize the strangest place in the world is America.
"Showing up is 80 percent of life."
"First thing you learn is that you always gotta wait."
"God is a thought. An idea. It's a metaphor. He's non-being. Every religion is true as metaphor of the human/cosmic mystery. If you know, you don't know. The quest is to find the inward thing that you are. The symbols of religion refer to you. Have you been reborn? Have you died as an animal and come back as a human? Deep down, you are god — for you."
-Joseph Campbell, The Power of Myth
"A family is a dictatorship ruled over by its sickest member."
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture."
"Youth is wasted on the young."
-George Bernard Shaw
"Everything in moderation, including moderation."